For the past few weeks and months we’ve been doing a lot behind the scenes of ChirpTracker to build a flexible system that will tailor to birder’s needs. Tonight we’re releasing something that you can see, feel and play with; an updated UI. While this certainly is far from the finished product, this update brings us one step closer to what our original vision was for ChirpTracker. In this update you’ll notice quite a few changes:
- An all new sharing interface. This interface will allow you to quickly share sightings, updates, photo, video, or even audio updates with ease.
- All new way to post sightings. Sightings are now easier and faster to share than ever. You can quickly display a map to pinpoint your sighting if you aren’t sure of your location. Many of you will also be happy to hear that you aren’t required to use the sightings format that you are use to. Using the new form will allow you to share your sightings faster and easier than before.
- Reorganized links and some new pages. We’ve reorganized some links to make things easier to find and also added a few new pages, such as the Fledglings page which you can use to see new users who join ChirpTracker!
- Refreshed look. The overall look of ChirpTracker has been slightly refreshed and modernized. Please use Safari, Firefox, or Chrome to view a much enhanced version of the site over Internet Explorer.
- Update themes. While the themes are still fairly simple and plain, they have been refreshed and one new “Earth” theme has been made available!
- Extra options drop down. You will notice a small, handy drop down menu in the new sharing interface. Currently the only tool available is “Shorten URLs”. Many of you will be very happy to see that simply clicking on this will AUTOMATICALLY shorten any long URL into a short and sweet URL. Enjoy.
Here are a few screenshots of the new sharing interface:
The new Sharing form:
The new Sharing form in use:
Internet Explorer uses may find some bugs here or there, and if you do, please report them. One thing to remember when participating in a private beta is that you have to put up with some bugs every now and again . As always we would love to hear your feedback. We will be rolling a similar set of updates out to ChirpTracker Mobile in the next few days so that posting a sighting will become just as easy from there!
If you don’t see the new updates right away and things look a little funky, try clearing your cache in your web browser and refreshing. An easy way to do this is to hold the SHIFT key and press the REFRESH button in your browser at the same time (Shift + Refresh).